Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy-Go-Slumdog





There are 2.5 things I'm friggin' in love with right now.



The first is Slumdog Millionaire.

Oh, you've heard of it?

I can't help but fall in love along with the masses. It's an amazing movie. Hauntingly alive and desperately human. It resonates with love and passion for damn good filmmaking. Danny Boyle is the man. He won my heart with 28 Days Later and never gave it back.


The second is Happy-Go-Lucky. It's another Oscar contender rubbing elbows with the Benjamin Buttons and the literate Kate Winslets, but all the big kids are kinda hogging the spotlight.

Doesn't phase the good people behind this movie though. "It's all part of it" as Poppy would say. She's the adorable and colorful leading lady you see beaming away in the stripes there. She makes me wonder if I need to be a nicer person, but also grabs me by my heels and brings me back down to earth to share a laugh about it. If life is one big roller coaster then people like Poppy are riding in the front car.



The final .5 is M.I.A.


Let it be known folks, by no means is she half of anything. She's the entire package!

She's an artist who grew up in Sri Lanka, India and the UK and now she makes incredible music from one of the most genuinely artistic (and badass) souls I've seen.

She also contributed to the score for Slumdog Millionaire. That endeavor banked a nom at the Oscars. It's yours my dear! It has to be.

M.I.A. aka Missing in Action. Ugh, so cool. She makes me wanna copy that t-shirt.

I just might.

No comments: